How To Pronounce 'Grand Cru Classé'?
How Do You Say 'Grand Cru Classé' Audio
Phonetics For Pronouncing 'Grand Cru Classé'?
Grands Crus Classés
Famous Quotes & Facts
Ronald McDonald is “Donald McDonald” in Japan because it makes pronunciation easier for the Japanese. In Singapore he’s known as “Uncle McDonald”.
A Quick Overview Of Grand Cru Classé
The Grands Crus Classés of Bordeaux consist of 5 classification tiers for the greatest red wines of the region. 'Grands crus' may be translated as 'Great Growths'. This classification was conceived in 1855, and is still used today:
- Premiers Grands Crus Classés - the best of the best. Only 5 wines are in this class: Château Lafite Rothschild, Château Latour, Château Mouton Rothschild, Château Margaux, Château Haut Brion;
- Deuxièmes Grands Crus Classés - the second 'tier'. (Deuxième means 'second'). This category includes great wines such as Château Pichon Longueville Baron, and Château Pichon Lalande;
- Troisièmes Grands Crus Classés - third classification of 'Great Growths';
- Quatrièmes Grands Crus Classés - fourth classification of 'Great Growths';
- Cinquième Grands Crus Classés - fifth classification of 'Great Growths'.
Note that the singular and plural forms of these terms are pronounced identically in French. For more information about this classification system, take a look at the official website crusclasses.com