How To Say Grand Cru Classé Correctly?
How To Say Grand Cru Classé Audio
Learn 'How To Say Grand Cru Classé'?
Grands Crus Classés
How To Say Grand Cru Classé Overview
The Grands Crus Classés of Bordeaux consist of 5 classification tiers for the greatest red wines of the region. 'Grands crus' may be translated as 'Great Growths'. This classification was conceived in 1855, and is still used today:
- Premiers Grands Crus Classés - the best of the best. Only 5 wines are in this class: Château Lafite Rothschild, Château Latour, Château Mouton Rothschild, Château Margaux, Château Haut Brion;
- Deuxièmes Grands Crus Classés - the second 'tier'. (Deuxième means 'second'). This category includes great wines such as Château Pichon Longueville Baron, and Château Pichon Lalande;
- Troisièmes Grands Crus Classés - third classification of 'Great Growths';
- Quatrièmes Grands Crus Classés - fourth classification of 'Great Growths';
- Cinquième Grands Crus Classés - fifth classification of 'Great Growths'.
Note that the singular and plural forms of these terms are pronounced identically in French. For more information about this classification system, take a look at the official website crusclasses.com
Famous Quotes & Facts
The French language has seventeen different words for ‘surrender’.